Multi-Seed Brown Bread



As I mentioned, I'm expecting my fourth child in March and I have found this pregnancy much tougher than any of the others. I'm not sure if this because it is my fourth or maybe I'm carrying a girl! Either way, I'm completely drained and seem to have every pregnancy-related complaint possible. My Vitamin B12 and my Ferritin (iron stores) are particularly low and even though I'm receiving injections for both, I'm trying to optimise my intake of vitamins and minerals in my daily diet. With this in mind, I came up with a recipe for brown bread which is packed with lots of nutritious sesame and sunflower seeds. These seeds are rich in beneficial minerals, especially copper, manganese and calcium, they also contain high amounts of vitamin B1 and vitamin E and (importantly for me) iron. I also included milled linseed, which can be used to substitute some flour in any bread or cake recipe to increase their nutritional value. Linseed is the richest source of omega 3 fatty acids found in nature. 

Soda bread only takes a matter of minutes to make and your own homemade version is much more nutritious than any you could buy in a supermarket. When I am making bread with the children in my cooking classes, I always use a recipe for bread that can be poured into a baking tin, however, this recipe requires a little kneading. This bread is best eaten on the day it is baked but it is still good for a day or so after, especially toasted.

Multi-Seed Brown Bread

Ingredients
225g plain flour
75g wholemeal flour
50g milled linseed
1 tsp bread soda
50g sunflower seeds
25g sesame seeds{keep a few for sprinkling on top}
300ml buttermilk
1 tbsp runny honey

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C / fan 220°C / gas mark 7. Sieve all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add the seeds and mix well.
2. Mix the buttermilk with the honey.
3. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour all the liquid in at once.
4. Using one hand, with your fingers stiff and outstretched like a claw, stir in a full circular movement from the centre to the outside of the bowl. The dough should be softish, not too wet and sticky.
5. When it all comes together turn it out onto a floured work surface. Wash and dry your hands.
6. Knead gently for a minute and pat the dough into shape.
7. Grease a 2lb cake tin with butter. place the dough in the tin and cut a deep cross on the loaf and prick the four corners. Sprinkle with a few extra seeds.
8. Bake in a preheated oven for 40 mins or until cooked.
9. Tap the bottom of the bread, when it is cooked it will sound hollow. Cool on a wire rack.

7 Comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Nessa, the bread sounds good, will have a go at making some this weekend maybe - it seems a better bet than the brownies I had in mind! Sorry to hear pregnancy is tough this time around... hang in there!
*Petra*

Nessa Robins said...

Thanks Petra.I hope you try out the bread-let me know what you think.Luckily I only have about 8 weeks left of the pregnancy. Hope everyone is well in your house.
Nessa.

Unknown said...

Hi Nessa,love the blog. I have made the bread a few times now and really like it. As I am a vegetarian I am delighted that it is a source of iron. I was wondering would you have any other recipe ideas that would be a rich source of iron? It is often difficult to find tasty vegetarian dishes that are a good source of iron!
Eimear

Nessa Robins said...

Thanks a million Eimear. I always have a difficult time myself keeping my iron at an optimal level, eventough I eat plenty of red meat. Over the next week I will post some vegetarian dishes. I hope study is going well for you.
Nessa.

Magali said...

Hi Nessa, Is bread soda the same as baking soda?

You probably know this but vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is said to help our absorption of iron... A glass of fresh orange juice with your slices of bread for example :)

Magali said...

Hi Nessa, is bread soda the same as baking soda?

By the way, you probably know this but vitamin C (ascorbic acid) helps our iron absorption. A glass of fresh orange juice with slices of your lovely bread :)

Nessa Robins said...

I am indeed aware about using vit C with Iron based foods, but thanks Magali for sharing that.
Yes, bread soda is the same as baking soda. :)