Nessa's Family Kitchen Chicken Goujons with a Creamy Garlic Dip

Most children seem to just love chicken nuggets or goujons. Whether it's a birthday party or a family get together they always seem to make an appearance somewhere on the menu. There are many different variety in the shops but there are none so nice as the ones you will make yourself.
With such a vast amount of chickens being imported into Ireland each week I always enquire to the origin of the chicken that I order in a restaurant or buy from a butcher. When at all possible I like to buy Irish and there are plenty of perfectly good Irish chickens on the market so why are so many imported into Ireland? Why cost of course, as consumers we always want to feel like we are getting a good deal but surely we would all pay that little bit extra if it meant that our chicken didn't have to travel thousands of miles to reach our plates. It's important for our economy that we buy Irish but also for our health, as traceability of the bird is obviously easier but also there are many strict protocols within the food sector that must be adhered to in Ireland. Luckily I don't need to travel far to be assured of free range Irish chicken as my butcher, John Gillivan in Moate, only sells chickens from the Cavan based Chicken Farm, Cootehill. Don't be afraid to ask where your chicken is from because if consumers are looking for more Irish products on the shelves then the retailers will have to meet that demand.
These chicken goujons are a marvellous way to include a high quality protein into a child's diet. Chicken is also packed with Vitamin B and Selenium which makes these goujons not only very tasty but also so nutritious. Children love to help with meal preparation and I always find that they can be more interested in a dish that they have had some input in. Once you have the three bowls set up it is easy for little hands to prepare the goujons, just make sure to wash hands well before and after.  
These goujons are delicious served on their own or with ketchup but for a flavoursome alternative try my Creamy Garlic Dip.
Enjoy!



Chicken Goujons

Ingredients   
3 Free Range Chicken Breasts
50g (2oz) Plain Flour
1 teasp smoked paprika

Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 eggs
100g (4oz) breadcrumbs
50g (2oz) Parmesan cheese (finely grated)
3 tablespoons sunflower oil/olive oil

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 375° F/ gas mark 5.
2. Cut the chicken into strips, about 5 per chicken breast.
3. Place the flour in the mixing bowl with the smoked paprika, a little salt and pepper.
4. Place the egg in another bowl and beat with a fork.
5. Mix the breadcrumbs and the finely grated cheese in another bowl.
6. Toss the goujons in the flour, then remove and shake off the excess flour.
7. Dip the goujons in the beaten egg. Remove from the egg letting any extra egg drip off.
8. Next, toss the goujons into the breadcrumb mix. Gently shake off crumbs that don’t stick.
9. Lay the goujons on a plate. They can be cooked at this stage but if you have time, cover with cling film and put in the fridge for an hour.
10. Place the baking trays in a preheated oven for 2 mins. Remove and drizzle the base of it with the oil.
11. Carefully place the goujons in a single layer. Bake in the oven for 15-20mins, turning them over half way through.
When they are golden brown and completely cooked remove from the oven and serve immediately with the creamy garlic dip or sauce of your choice.



Creamy Garlic Dip

Ingredients   
4 tbsp Greek Yogurt
2 tbsp Mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
Squeeze of lemon

Method
In a bowl combine all the ingredients together.
The dip will keep for one week in a container in the fridge.


7 Comments:

Donna OShaughnessy said...

Nessa, you are my hero ! Forst of all for promoting "EAT LOCAL" and secondly for this fab recipe. We have a small family farm and sell organic beef and pork. It cost more to raise so we have to sell it for more. Most folks understand because its very good meat but some folks, used to the crud at McDonalds think I should have a dollar menu. No. I think not. Bravo for you for eating food from the farm you know !

My grandkids will love this recipe and I will make it next time they come. Many thanks

Sue/the view from great island said...

Your chicken looks so crunchy and delicious. I can't believe it's oven baked and not fried. I also like the idea of getting them prepped and then refrigerating them for a while. It makes dinnertime so much more enjoyable for me if I'm not racing around cleaning up and cooking at the same time. Great recipe.

Curious Cook said...

oh my..that chicken looks divine. Really cant believe it was baked. And that dip sounds glorious. Cant wait to try it. :)

mammyskitchen said...

They look so good, it has been ages since I've made chicken goujons for my gang must remedy that soon.

I'll definitely be trying your dip to go with them. Gorgeous!

Nessa Robins said...

Thank you so much for your very kind words! These are quite tasty and I'm sure will be a hit with adults and kiddies alike. :)

Colleen said...

This recipe looks yummy....can't wait to try them. I've seen recipes for chicken goujons before but they never appealed to me as they were fried in oil. I think my family will love it! And I like that the dip has a healthier mix of yogurt & mayo.

Nessa Robins said...

Thanks for visiting the blog Colleen! They're a big hit with my kids and I just love the dip with anything. :)