Curried Egg Salad


There is a rumour hanging about that this summer is going to be a scorcher. From our previous experiences, we’d be forgiven if we weren't too optimistic. However if sunshine is around the corner, outdoor dining and summer salads could be on the menu. For a number of years I've kept hens in my back garden. They are so easy to care for, lovely to watch pottering around the garden and the daily delivery of fresh eggs is always wonderful. The flavour and quality of these eggs is outstanding. Not everyone has the space or time to keep hens but often at local markets there will be someone selling fresh eggs. If you have yet to taste a 'farm fresh' egg, I'd urge you to seek them out and I guarantee that you will be in for a treat. 
I enjoy eggs in any form but one of my young men can sometimes take convincing. He has a great fondness for curry flavoured dishes so I thought why not try some curried eggs and to my surprise he loved them. Stuffed between two thick slices of buttered bread is how my little man enjoys it best; however the rest of us rather enjoy the curried eggs jammed into some pitta bread. A bowl of curried egg salad would also be well placed on any cold meat and salad buffet.

Chief egg collector!

Ingredients
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1/2 tsp curry powder
4 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped
1 small crisp eating apple, peeled, cored and finely diced
1 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
4 pitta breads, lightly toasted
Handful of salad leaves

Method
1. In a medium sized bowl combine the mayonnaise with the curry powder. Fold in the eggs, apple and chives. Season with a little salt and pepper.
2. Fill each pitta pocket with a few salad leaves and then the egg salad.


5 Comments:

Brownieville Girl said...

Nummy!

I haven't ever tasted apple in an egg salad - I'm looking forward to trying it.

Fantastic photos as always!

Unknown said...

Eggs are my all-time favorite ingredient, and curried egg salad sounds like total perfection. Love this! (and the chickens look great!)

Unknown said...

Eggs are my all-time favorite ingredient, and curried egg salad sounds like total perfection. Love this! (and the chickens looks great!)

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

I used to love egg salad when I was a kid, not as an adult. I wouldn't eat a sandwich if you paid me! LOL!!!

Recently I've actually just started eating eggs again for breakfast, but only once a week. It has to be well scrambled, a one egg omelet with lots of veggies or between an bagel!

I love to make deviled eggs too! LOL!!!

Nessa Robins said...

Thanks ladies. I hope you enjoy it!